Posted on July 28, 2011
It’s summer, and what better to dish about at this time of the year than ice cream and other frozen treats. Here are some of our family’s favorites in the area:
- Dairy Joy - 331 North Avenue, (781) 894-2600 – this has been an institution in Weston for decades. In addition to the soft-serve ice cream and yogurt (sometimes), frappes and floats, you can also have lunch and/or dinner. But bring your wallet; it doesn’t usually end up being inexpensive, and they only take cash. And despite the fact that there aren’t restroom facilities or indoor seating options, it’s well worth the trip and a big favorite of ours.
- J.P. Licks, 63 Central Street, (781) 416-1799 - this is new to Wellesley Center, and a welcome addition I must say. I remember going to the J.P. Licks on Newbury Street before I was a Mom and living in the burbs so they’ve been around for quite some time to say the least….
- Truly Yogurt, 35 Grove Street, (781) 239-1356 - I am intensely loyal to Truly Yogurt. Pinnacle, my office, is just around the corner, and when I am there at lunch time, Truly Yogurt is always where I go for frozen yogurt. In fact, I am often sent as the scout to buy for others in the office too. Gary, the owner and proprietor, is always nice, friendly and welcoming. On Wednesdays, when the Wellesley schools let out at noon, the line is out the door – and the same thing happens on summer evenings.
- White Mountain Creamery, 552 Washington Street, (781) 239-0676 – this is right across the street from my office and always seems to do a steady stream of business. (As I mentioned above, Truly Yogurt gets me most of the time.)
- Friendly’s Ice Cream Shop, 1111 Lexington Street, (781) 899-5887 – we celebrated my daughter’s seventh birthday here with about 20 relatives, and it was so much fun. Our lunch entrees were okay, but the ice cream cake for dessert was phenomenal.
- Lizzy’s Homemade Ice Cream, 367 Moody Street, (781) 893-6677 – this is located right in the heart of Waltham and features all of the frozen treat bells and whistles. On another note (and if I remember correctly), Lizzy’s tends to sponsor a fair amount of our Weston events, i.e. the ice cream social and various PTO functions. There is another Lizzy’s in Needham, 1498 Highland Ave, (781) 455-1498 if that location is more convenient for you.
- Dairy Queen, 323 N. Main Street, (508) 655-3839 – this is another kids favorite featuring the Almighty Blizzard. This location also offers a drive-thru option, which can come in very handy with the little ones.
- Wally’s Wicked Good Ice Cream & Treats, 419 Lexington Street, (781) 244-3555 – we just happened upon Wally’s recently – it’s close to my go-to supermarket (Shaw’s) and Queen’s Nails too. The kids love the ice cream and all of the toppings, and you can pay with a credit card.
I know there are tons of other great ice cream and frozen treat places to which I have not ventured and so are not on this list – Pizzi Farm in Waltham as well as Crazy Jayne’s Ice Cream Parlor and Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop in Natick to name just a few. What are some other spots that you don’t see on this list? And which ice cream stores are your favorites? I can’t wait to hear, and happy ice cream eating in the meantime….